Multiple Locations: Albany & Syracuse, NY
Description and Responsibilities
Our Senior Estimators are responsible for managing the electrical estimating process from beginning to end, producing comprehensive estimates for commercial, industrial and institutional projects. Senior Estimators lead thier respective teams, and assist and mentor estimators with less experience as well as collaborate with teams in other offices as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related technical program preferred.
- Proficient in creating working drawing, design development, design build, and conceptual estimates.
- Experience with commercial, industrial, institutional and specialty projects, including state and federal.
- Minimum of seven years estimating experience with an electrical contractor.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to read and thoroughly understand all bid documents.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Solid math, critical thinking and business writing skills.
- Advanced knowledge of estimating practices and procedures including drawing interpretation and intent, software input and data manipulation, takeoff techniques, and electrical systems and their components.
- Working knowledge of NEC requirements as well as a basic knowledge of the effects of other national codes on electrical construction.
- Thorough understanding of labor risk factors including but not limited to location, weather, labor availability, installation difficulty, and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of all standard electrical systems in commercial, industrial and institutional construction projects.
- Ability to design basic systems with, at times, minimal information.
- Thorough knowledge of standard labor units and the logic behind their development.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Minimum of three years of experience with the estimating software Accubid or Enterprise, including the use of custom designations, bid summaries, item substitutions, special reporting, and job exporting.
- Experience working with Bluebeam Revu, Auto CAD, Revit and Prolog a plus.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Self-starting, seek out information, and time manage assignments based on objectives and deadlines.
- Review all bid documents to determine the complete project scope.
- Take overall responsibility estimating large, complex projects individually or leading a team of estimators with varying abilities to complete the estimate.
- Train and mentor junior estimators, as well as review their work ensuring estimate completeness and accuracy.
- Perform a complete review of front-end documents, recognizing risk factors and reflecting any costs associated with such risks in the estimate. Recognize arduous contractual and legal requirements within the documents, communicating these items to those involved in the final estimate review and in the turn-over process if bid is successful.
- Compose concise, well structured, comprehensive scope/clarification documents reflecting a high degree of professionalism and project knowledge.
- Lead estimate reviews in executive review meetings.
- Perform advanced takeoffs and input utilizing the estimating software.
- Set up estimates with software that allows for advanced manipulation of data by the estimator, enabling the generation of complicated estimate breakdowns for bid analysis, scheduling input, and bid form requirements.
- Layout and take off branch circuit wiring for basic and specialty systems including lighting, lighting controls, instrumentation, receptacles, fire alarm, sound systems, etc.
- Formulate labor units for unfamiliar materials.
- Provide the data required to create a man-loaded schedule for bid analysis and proposal submittal.
- Assess risk associated with takeoffs performed by other members of the team.
- Develop and price a comprehensive scope of value engineering ideas on any given project. Incorporate other cost saving measures in an estimate that are acceptable within the requirements of the contract documents but not necessarily apparent to all members of the estimating team.
- Consult with businesses, suppliers and vendors for material, equipment, and method alternatives and costs, including technology enhancements to recommend the most cost effective options that meet requirements.
- Ability to pass background check, motor vehicle record report, drug screen and other requirements to work at Federal installations and other secure facilities.
Directions for Application
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.