On January, 27th, Vic was the guest of honor for the Construction Financial Management Association’s annual CEO night. Each year, the association choses a business leader in the industry to share his or her story, notes about their organization, and most importantly – tips for a successful career in construction!
Vic spent time discussing O’Connell’s storied history, moments of pride, his legacy in the Rochester business community, and wrapped up with a few bullet points for his keys to success:
- We’re in the relationship business. Especially in construction. Get involved and expand your network.
- Get involved with a non-profit you are passionate about to broaden your horizons.
- For yourself and your company – build reserves! This will be critically important to survival should you run into cash problems.
- Operate at the highest level of ethics.
- A strong bonding capacity is critical.
- Safety in our industry should always be number one. Never compromise.
- Get a good banker, lawyer, accountant, and insurance agent. All are critical to your success.
- Set Stretch goals, both personally and in business. It works.