Since beginning passenger transportation services in 1989, Stewart International Airport has received federal and state funding for numerous upgrades and improvements including funding under the FAA’s Military Airport Program (MAP) that supports capital improvements to help convert former military airports for civilian use. Stewart’s latest airport improvement project, the rehabilitation of their Weather Instrument Power Circuit (WIP), also received FAA funding.
Stewart International Airport is situated on 2,400 acres, just 60 miles north of New York City. The airport operates two runways, one measuring 11,817 feet in length, the other 6,004 feet.
Stewart began as a West Point cadet training airfield in 1939 before becoming Stewart Air Force Base in 1948. Deactivated from military service in 1970, it wasn’t until 1989 that commercial airlines were beginning to provide regular passenger service to and from Stewart. In 2007, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey purchased the facility committing to a ten-year, $500 million capital improvement expansion program. In addition to Stewart International, The Port Authority also manages operations at John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia, and Newark Liberty International Airports.